- Human Papilloma Virus (HPV), when it comes to women's genital area, there are low risk, and high risk types. These refer to their cancer causing potential.
- We screen only for the high risk type, as these are the only ones associated w/cervical/lower genital and anal cancer.
- Since these can and are detected at the annual pap smear, it remains important to keep these appointments.
- In the early stages, you'll have no symptoms when HPV is present.
- HPV remains dormant, much like other viruses, ie: chicken pox, until one's immune system falters. While there are treatment options avialable, there is no known cure.
Back to top